A racist white woman in a skin-tight white dress stands with a headdress made to mimick war bonnets. Text reads, “I am a racist white girl stealing sacred objects from cultures I am privileged over. I am also presenting a hypersexualized image of native women, with additional use of Eurocentric ultra-thin beauty ideals. I am contributing to the rape and sexual assaults on native women daily. I am disrespecting cultures whose genocide I benefit from. I AM THE FACE OF WHITE FEMALE PRIVILEGE.”
i am SO tired of seeing this shit on tumblr
1) nothing is wrong with wearing a tight dress????
2) um, WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING that skin tight dresses contribute to sexual assult? what about the rapist? are they not the ones contributing to sexual assault?
3) okay so because she is thin, it means shes purposefully contributing to ultra thin beauty ideals. okay. makes PERFECT sense. so whenever you see a thin person just WALKING DOWN THE STREET they’re purposefully contributing to ultra thin beauty ideals? lol A+ logic right there.
3) and i understand people thinking that whites wearing headdresses is “disrespectful” or whatever, but i honestly don’t think she had racist intentions? really you guys… why would someone model with a headdress if she had the intention to be racist???…
anyone care to enlighten me?
1. No, not when you’re not adding to racist stereotypes.
2. When white women model objects of native cultures in hypersexualized ways, they add to the hypersexualization and fetishization of native women. 1 in 3 native women have been sexually assaulted, overwhelmingly by non-native men. White women need to stop contributing to this.
3. Modeling a native culture according to Eurocentric beauty ideals contributes to judging WoC by Eurocentric beauty ideals, something which furthers the degradation and racism against WoC.
4. Intent is not magical. Intent is not magical. Intent is not magical.
1) i still fail to see how this is adding to racial stereotypes.
2) how do you even know this woman does not have native american heritage? but let’s say she doesn’t, just for a second. wouldn’t this add to the fetishizing of white women? i REALLY do not think that pictures like these will add to the rape of native women. i think it’s extremely unfair of you to say that a woman should stop dressing the way they do just to avoid rape. i can assure you that white women are raped just as often. i do understand that natives may feel like their culture is being sexualized with a dress such as the one she’s wearing. but honestly, i really do not find the picture to be sexually appealing. she’s not in any raunchy poses, she’s not making sexual gestures… she’s just standing there. i think the photographer and the model were only trying to portray beauty. you still have not answered my question— what about the rapist? do they not contribute to the rape of a woman, or the rape of anyone for that matter?
3) how is this degrading to natives….? does this mean you’re saying eurocentric beauty ideals are… degrading to natives? isn’t that kind of racist?
4) uhhh? i’m not quite sure what you even mean by this, but i’m assuming you’re trying to tell me just because her intentions weren’t racist doesn’t change the fact that what she’s doing is racist? okay, you could say that. but like i said,*copypasting this for the second time* i understand that people feel like it’s disrespectful to wear traditional clothes of another culture but STILL, i don’t really think those who wear such clothes are purposefully trying to be disrespectful or racist, but rather they wear them in admiration of said culture. at least, that’s what i understand.
1. If the image every non-native man has of native women is that of a super-sexual slut, their perception of native women WILL be affected by this. Given the rape culture the vast majority of non-native men within the US and North America live in, women who are seen as sluts are then sexually assaulted.
2. If she has native heritage, she’s doing a damn good job of acting white. WHITE WOMEN ARE NOT RAPED AS OFTEN AS WoC JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
3. Eurocentric beauty ideals are degrading to everyone who does not fit them, i.e. anyone who is not white. They are degrading because they are an impossible standard. This creates a deep self-loathing in women who will never be able to meet those standards.
4. I’m sure white people who came to the Americas didn’t intend to create so much misery and suffering, but they sure did.
PS: If your idea of admiring a culture is to take objects from it without giving a damn as to what they mean, it’s better for that culture if you don’t admire it.